This recipe uses small indian eggplants, this is the egg-shaped variety that you will find in most of the south asian grocery stores. You can also adopt this recipe to use with longer italian or chinese eggplants.
10 baby eggplant,slit with ends intact
1 big tomato cut in small pieces
1 big onions cut in small pieces
3 garlic cloves
1 inch piece of ginger
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp roasted peanuts
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 Tbsp desiccated coconut unsweetened
1 Tsp mustard seeds
A few curry leaves
Salt to test
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Dry roast onion pieces in a pan till brown.
2. Dry roast poppy seeds,sesame seeds,coriander seeds and coconut till fragrant.
3. Blend onions,tomatoes,dry roasted seeds and coconut from step 2 ,ginger ,garlic,salt and roasted peanuts in a blender till very smooth.
4. Add a table-spoon of oil in a wide pan,heat it slightly and then add split eggplants to it. Saute the eggplants covered on a low-mediun heat for about 10 mins, turning once in between,so there are nice brown spots on the eggplants.
5. Cool down the eggplants till easy to handle.
6.Stuff the masala prepared in step 3,reserve some of the masala for gravy.
7.Add the remain 1 Tbsp oil in the same pan. Add mustard seeds wait till it sizzles.
8.Add curry leaves.
9.Add egglplant to the pan in one layer.
10.Add the remaining masala mixture over it and add a cup of water.
11.Cover the pan and let it cook for 8 mins or till the eggplants are tender.
12.Enjoy with rice,roti or bread.